Wednesday, October 14, 2009

U.S. President Barack Obama wins the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

President Obama is the 2009 recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize. Yes, you heard that right. President Obama did in fact win the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize, something that shocked many throughout the world whereas others seem to have seen it coming.

I was definitely surprised to see this awarded to our President as where many of my fellow Americans. In class after it was announced, I was talking to several of my classmates about what they thought about President Obama winning such a prestigious prize. The ultimate question coming off of nearly every classmate's tongue was, "Why?"

I myself even asked that question. I campaigned for President Obama in the previous election, so I would definitely be considered a big supporter of President Obama. Even as a supporter, I still could not help but ask why.

When going through his qualifications, I see that at age 48, he seems too young. Also, I understand that he is working hard to increase world peace, but what has he gotten accomplished so far that is so grand? I cannot come up with an answer to that question.

So after trying hard to figure out why, I decided to see what other people thought was the reason. Some are saying that the Nobel committee will sometimes give the award to someone who they feel is in the process of doing something great. By doing this, they hope to draw more attention to what that individual is doing in an attempt to get quicker more wide spread results.

I can definitely see this being a reason, as President Obama is doing a lot to try and increase the U.S.'s relations with countries throughout the world. I have also heard people who think that he only got it, because he was our first black president. I do feel that just that itself does give U.S. a different look from countries throughout the world, but I cannot see that being the sole reason for his award.

The reason that is published most is that President Obama was awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize, "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples." This is according to almaz.com.

No matter what the reason, President Obama receiving this award can have nothing but a positive effect on our country, so everyone put your hands together and congratulate the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize winner, President Barack Obama!

5 comments:

  1. I think a lot of people have that question as to why President Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. I am not against him getting it, because he has great intentions. I just think they should have waited to give it to him until he follows through and achieves and act that will change the world in some way. Although, there is a lot of opinions out there as to why he won this award I do not feel that anyone should bad talk it. It is alright to wonder why, but do not bash him for getting such a honoring award.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, was surprised to hear he won the award. After finding out the reason was supposedly to encourage Obama to continue with his actions, I can sort of see the reason. I don't really know how to feel about it. I'm not much into liberal politics but I have to respect him as our president. I also don't think that the Nobel Prize committee voted for him just because he was the first black president. That sounds a little bizarre to me. If that is really the case, that would be very, very sad that people cannot see his personality and his policies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also surprised to see President Obama get this award. I do not agree with most of his political views, but I respect him as our president. I'm not sure I agree with the idea that this award should be given out "to someone who they feel is in the process of doing something great." While this can provide good publicity, it can also bring stronger opposition from those who don't want to see the efforts succeed. Congratulations, President Obama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane,

    I have been wanting to talk to someone about this topic for weeks! If I was an American I imagine I would be an Obama supporter. He seems to be trying to do good things. I am all for anyone who is trying to change things for the better instead of just turning a blind eye. However, I think it’s pretty crazy to give him the Nobel Peace Prize. What exactly has he DONE that has been so huge and world changing so far? I understand that by being the first African American president he is breaking borders and, as I said, taking steps to make the country and its relations with other countries better. However, I really think his greatest contribution to society will come in the future. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think he’s done enough yet to merit this award.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane -

    I have been hearing many people's opinions about the news about Obama's award. I was surprised myself, because the winners in previous years have very different jobs and positions in society than President Obama. I support our president, and I think that the award was given very fairly, but it is just a big surprise. I'm on both sides of the argument I guess. I think it's great that he working hard, but at the same time, it seems that he hasn't actually done anything huge to bring up that type of recognition.

    ReplyDelete